Back to - Non-Medical Help | Work for us
Specialist one-to-one Study Skills Support Tutor (SpLD) – Liverpool
Locations: University of Liverpool, Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores, Edge Hill
Contract: 12 month Fix Term contract
Salary: £32,708 Pro Rata
Hours: 20 hours per week (Monday -Friday) Term time only
Starting: January 2022
Barry Bennett are one of the largest companies offering specialist support to students in receipt of DSA (Disabled Students’ Allowance) throughout the UK. We provide a range of support specialised to everyone’s individual needs whilst studying at University.
Barry Bennett is recruiting for a Specialist one-to-one study skills support Tutor (SpLD) to join the Non-Medical Help team to support Manchester, Salford, Bolton Universities during term time. This would involve the successful applicant to work during the Winter, Spring and Autumn Semesters. This would be January to March, April to June and September to December.
The role of an SpLD Tutor is to work with students on a one-to-one basis developing academic competences such as organisation, exam preparation, research techniques and memory skills. Our tutors deliver literacy support in the areas of spelling, punctuation, grammar and accuracy of thought presentation. To promote independent learning as well as empowering the student to manage their workload. Study skills cannot be subject specific tuition; however, tutors can work with a student using course materials as a framework.
- Support should address the issues some students may have in acquiring, recalling, and retaining information of written and spoken language.
- The role involves addressing a range of memory, organisational, attention, and numeracy difficulties that students often face when working in a higher education (H.E) context. It should be noted that these difficulties may have been identified already but they may only become evident when a student faces the academic challenges of H.E work.
- The support should aim to develop students’ skills for autonomy in the learning environment.
- The support should be tailored to a student’s individual needs and professionals delivering the support should set out clear goals and timescales for achieving these goals.
- Some students will require ongoing support throughout their course. Others may require less support as the course continues.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualities
- Substantial experience of working with students with disabilities and/or specific learning difficulties on a one -to -one basis.
- An in-depth understanding of the effects of specific learning difficulties on language and learning.
- An in-depth knowledge of disabilities affect particular areas of learning.
- An awareness of the strengths students with specific learning difficulties can bring to a learning situation.
- The skills to help students make use of their strengths and overcome barriers to learning.
- Must be able to travel as some work will involve face to face support at the advertised Universities.
The successful applicant must have the relevant qualifications and hold the current memberships.
Benefits to include:
- Holds a degree (or equivalent)
- Holds a relevant postgraduate qualification in working with learners with Specific Learning Difficulties.
- Holds professional or associate membership to one of the following professional bodies.
- Dyslexia Guild
- You must be eligible to work in the UK
- Must provide a current basic DBS check.
- Competitive Salary
- Birthday Leave *rules apply*
- 23 days holiday + bank holidays
- Birthday gift
- Tech & cycle scheme
- Private healthcare
- Equipment provided
As a Disability Confident Employer, Barry Bennett will undertake to interview an applicant with a disability who meets the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and will consider them on their abilities. If you wish to be regarded as disabled for this purpose, please indicate this on your application. Additionally, if you require information in accessible formats, please request this.
Please email your CV and covering letter to: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome speculative approaches. If you are interested in a career as a support worker at Barry Bennett Ltd, please submit your CV with a covering letter by post or email to the address below:
FAO: Scott Hunter
Barry Bennett Ltd
Please Note - No Agencies