Back to - Non-Medical Help | Work for us
Academic Support Worker - Liverpool
Hours: Zero Hour Contract
Barry Bennett are one of the largest companies offering specialist support to students in receipt of DSA (Disabled Students’ Allowance) throughout the UK. We provide a range of support specialised to everyone’s individual needs whilst studying at University.
Barry Bennett is recruiting for academic support workers at University. As an academic support worker, you will be required to work with students in a number of capacities. These span various roles such as Transitional Support, Practical Assistants, Study Assistants, and Note Takers.
- Provide support to help students transition into the University environment during freshers week.
- Providing practical and mobility support to assist students with a physical or sensory impairment.
- Helping students manoeuvring between and around key study venues.
- Carrying books and/ or equipment for a student if needed.
- Act as a sighted guide for a visually impaired students or supporting a student with the practical aspects of their course (i.e. locating books in the library).
- This support is provided when a mix of enabling strategies complemented by some practical assistance is required.
- This can include helping students search library catalogues, locate materials, collect materials, photocopying etc.
- Reading text aloud to students.
- Taking clear, accurate and legible notes for a student in lectures / seminars.
- Ensuring good spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Providing a reliable note-taking service for disabled students.
The successful applicant will possess these Essential Skills
- University graduate or, currently studying at post graduate level.
- A good understanding of the nature of University level study.
- Excellent organisation and time management.
- Ability to work on own initiative, independently, and to deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly, professionally and sensitively, both verbally and in writing.
- A good understanding of the importance of integrity and confidentiality.
- Demonstrable general disability awareness.
- Ability to pick out salient points from lectures.
- Neat, legible handwriting with a good grasp of the English Language, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Willingness to adopt a flexible approach to working in a manner that is tailored to people’s individual needs.
Benefits to include:
- Experience of provision of student support in Higher Education or other social or educational support settings
- New starters will be required to obtain a basic DBS check
- Flexible Hours
- Zero Hour Contract
- Range of hours available, but subject to support requirements
As a Disability Confident Employer, Barry Bennett will undertake to interview an applicant with a disability who meets the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and will consider them on their abilities. If you wish to be regarded as disabled for this purpose, please indicate this on your application. Additionally, if you require information in accessible formats, please request this.
Please email your CV and covering letter to: Email: email@example.com
We welcome speculative approaches. If you are interested in a career as a support worker at Barry Bennett Ltd, please submit your CV with a covering letter by post or email to the address below:
FAO: Scott Hunter
Barry Bennett Ltd
Please Note - No Agencies